When looking for a Medical Laboratory Technologist, it is important to check that they are registered with the college.
Only individuals who are registered with the Nova Scotia College of Medical Laboratory Technologists may use the title Medical Laboratory Technologist, MLT, or any designate of. The college maintains a code of ethics, practice standards, and guidelines that members must follow when practising medical laboratory technology in Nova Scotia. These standards are in place to ensure protection to the public through regulation.
Registration with the College indicates that the individual:
- Has met the education and registration requirements
- Demonstrates continued adherence to the practice standards
- Respects the public’s right to safe, competent and ethical care
- Participates in quality assurance to stay current in medical laboratory technology
- Is subject to investigation when a complaint is received by the college about their practice as a MLT